Thursday, May 31, 2012

Clarification and Update

So my previous approach to blogging was to try to produce carefully thought out pieces of work. This would often including writing a draft of the piece and going over the piece to add ideas and remove ideas. In theory, that process is what writing should be. However, the unfortunate consequence is that writing a piece takes a long time--often pieces do not get created as a result of this hesitation. I am highly critical of my own work and go through a piece many times to try to organize ideas as clear as possible. I often remove much of what I intended to say in the revision. These combined factors (time and self-doubt) have resulted in much unsaid. In other words, trying to perfect my writing has prevented me from writing. This goes against the goals I set out for this blog: to improve quality and speed I can produce writing as well as to share my thoughts.
Needless to say, editing and revision are important for published works. The process works to clarify ideas to make sure you are communicating what you mean to say. If you can clarify or distill your true meaning, then you have complete understanding. To clarify what one truly means is often much more difficult than it seems. When you can distill your arguments to the core issue, it is incredibly empowering skill; you can make decisions or communicate with much more clarity and efficiency. Everyone can do it--it is the epiphany that everyone looks for. The caveat is that the process is long and difficult. Most people give up and make less informed decisions before that level of clarity is reached. In many daily cases, the differences between levels of clarity is trivial. However, if the process is not practiced enough, the ability may not be there when you truly need it (ex. major decisions).
If my writing seems jumbled and all over the place, it is because I am trying to actively develop the ability clarify and organize ideas faster. This means working faster and more efficiently to challenge how I think. Much like how an athlete must push himself outside his comfort zone, I am trying to do the same. The intended result is more frequent, clearer, better organized posts. Some of the short run implications include jumbled ideas, grammar mistakes, spelling errors (that spell check does not catch), and possibly crap work. It will also mean I will try to produce more posts. I will see how this method works over the next few months and will qualitatively look at my results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment